List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Sebastian Mendel Date:January 9 2008 9:29am
Subject:Re: why in procedure truncate table do not reset auto_increment?
View as plain text
Martijn Tonies schrieb:
>>> [...] why in procedure TRUNCATE table
>>> demo do not reset auto_increment?
>> is clearly written in the documentation, just read ...
>>
>> in short:
>>
>> auto_increment is used for primary key, primary keys could be referenced
>> from another table, setting auto_increment back to 0 could lead to using a
>> primary key formerly used by another datarow and still referenced by
> another
>> table - could lead to data inconsistency.
>
> lol, but TRUNCATE empties the table... What good are your references? :-)

LOL ??? very funny, really

why not read the manual before posting? could help me save a lot of time ...

only one table is truncated, not the one referencing to this one

it is better to have references leading to 'nothing' than to a wrong datarow
... i think this is very easy to understand - better save than sorry!

--
Sebastian
Thread