List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Baron Schwartz Date:January 2 2008 5:25pm
Subject:Re: Database Migration Path / Activity List?
View as plain text
Hi Luis,

On Jan 2, 2008 11:12 AM, Luis Motta Campos <luismottacampos@stripped> wrote:
> Baron Schwartz wrote:
> >> That's interesting. What kind of activities (besides configuration,
> >>  maybe?) are interesting to add?
> >
> > Lots of experimentation!
> >
> > Let me ask it another way: how are you planning to use replication?
> > -- for load balancing/scaling reads, backups, a hot standby machine?
>
> OK, I guess a bit more of information can help. I have a very sensitive
> database at the company

[snip]

> The master/spare and slave/spare machines would be connected through
> heartbeat and will keep the database in a DRDB filesystem. This will
> guarantee that, in case of failure, the other machine can raise the same
> IP address in it's own interface and continue operations after a short
> delay.

I suspect that this won't go smoothly on the first try, and if it's
very sensitive...  No offense, but you're talking about a lot of
complexity here, and you're not familiar with replication yet.  DRBD,
failover etc are even more complex.

I personally would hire an expert to help me plan and implement this
upgrade.  MySQL AB has consultants, but there's also Pythian, Proven
Scaling, and Percona, to name a few whom I think are very familiar
with the tools and technologies you're talking about.

(Why do the consulting companies all have names that start with P, I wonder?)
Thread
Database Migration Path / Activity List?Luis Motta Campos2 Jan
  • Re: Database Migration Path / Activity List?Baron Schwartz2 Jan
    • Re: Database Migration Path / Activity List?Luis Motta Campos2 Jan
      • Re: Database Migration Path / Activity List?Baron Schwartz2 Jan
        • Re: Database Migration Path / Activity List?Luis Motta Campos2 Jan
          • Re: Database Migration Path / Activity List?Baron Schwartz2 Jan
  • Re: Database Migration Path / Activity List?Moon's Father3 Jan