List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Miguel Vaz Date:January 1 2008 11:22pm
Subject:change field types from several tables
View as plain text
	Hi,

	I am trying to import a big database of around 140 tables from xls
to mysql. It works fine using navicat mysql, but i am running into a problem:

	Navicat tries to predict the field types, but makes a mistake on
long text fields whose type needs to be "text", instead it makes them
varchar(255), which is not enough for the content.

	I can solve the issue if i manually choose all field types to be
"text", but since mysql has the alter table command to change field
type, i was wondering if there is a way to change all fields from all
tables to "text" automatically. This way i could import the table
structure first, change all fields to type "text" and import tha data
afterwards (the import is for an intermediary process, so no worries
on all fields being "text" at this point).

	Something like:

	ALTER TABLE * CHANGE * * TEXT

	But obviously this doesnt work.

	Is this even possible using MYSQL? I could do it programmatically
using PHP, i guess, but a single command would be far better. :-)

	Miguel Vaz

Thread
change field types from several tablesMiguel Vaz2 Jan
Re: change field types from several tablesBaron Schwartz2 Jan