List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Martin Gainty Date:November 24 2007 3:17pm
Subject:RE: Unusual sort
View as plain text
Hi Jim

it seems that you cannot create an index with a function soyou will need to establish a
separate 12 character column which has all of the URL entries insertedalphabetically in
ascending order (fully padded with www. prefix)backup your DBALTER TABLE table ADD
TwelveCharacterURL CHAR(12),
                  ADD FOREIGN KEY 12CharacterIndex (TwelveCharacterURL);
UPDATE TABLE TABLE set TwelveCharacterURL=(LPAD(OldURLColumn,12,'www.'));

Anyone else?
Martin ______________________________________________Disclaimer and confidentiality
noteEverything in this e-mail and any attachments relates to the official business of
Sender. This transmission is of a confidential nature and Sender does not endorse
distribution to any party other than intended recipient. Sender does not necessarily
endorse content contained within this transmission.> From: jj@stripped> To:
mysql@stripped> Subject: Unusual sort> Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 16:29:50
-0700> > I have a table containing web site host names, most of them having both a
manner:> > axxx.com> www.axxx.com> bxxx.com> www.bxxx.com> wxxx.com>
www.wxxx.com> zxxx.com> www.zxxx.com> > Any way to do this? > > > --