List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Steffan A. Cline Date:November 19 2007 7:48pm
Subject:Re: MySQL on Leopard
View as plain text
on 11/19/07 12:34 PM, Warren Young at warren@stripped wrote:

> Steffan A. Cline wrote:
>>
>> Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /usr/local/mysql/var
>> /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqld_safe: line 426: 77090 Segmentation fault
>> $NOHUP_NICENESS $ledir/$MYSQLD $defaults --basedir=$MY_BASEDIR_VERSION
>> --datadir=$DATADIR $USER_OPTION --pid-file=$pid_file >> $err_log
> 2>&1
>> STOPPING server from pid file /usr/local/mysql/var/Phat-G5.local.pid
>> 071117 12:21:39  mysqld ended
>>
>> Is this some kind of shell error?
>
> No, a segfault (see end of second line) indicates either a bug in MySQL
> or one of the libraries it uses (unlikely) or an incompatibility between
> them.  This being an OS less than 1 month out of the gate, I'd bet on
> the latter.
>
> For now, try installing the version from Fink instead.  It'll have to
> rebuild itself from source, which will avoid many of the possible
> incompatibility problems.  http://fink.sf.net/

I have always known fink to have this available but wanted to avoid it. I
suppose I could just revert to using the init script but from what I have
read it seems that the launchd is the better option. Yes, I saw the segfault
but after looking into it, it seemed that it must be something I am missing.
It would appear that for some reason those run time variables are not
getting set. I built MySQL 5.045 from source and it will run fine, just not
from launchd. Simply launching mysqld_safe works fine. Using the
"mysql.server start" works too.

So, other than using Fink, is there anything else that might seem obvious? I
am willing to ride this one out and see what other options there are to try.

Thanks

Steffan

T E L  6 0 2 . 7 9 3 . 0 0 1 4 | F A X  6 0 2 . 9 7 1 . 1 6 9 4
Steffan A. Cline
Steffan@stripped                             Phoenix, Az
http://www.ExecuChoice.net                                  USA
AIM : SteffanC          ICQ : 57234309
YAHOO : Steffan_Cline   MSN : steffan@stripped
GOOGLE: Steffan.Cline             Lasso Partner Alliance Member

MySQL on LeopardSteffan A. Cline17 Nov
Re: MySQL on LeopardSteffan A. Cline17 Nov
  • Re: MySQL on LeopardSteffan A. Cline17 Nov
    • Re: MySQL on LeopardWarren Young19 Nov
      • Re: MySQL on LeopardSteffan A. Cline19 Nov