List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:James Sherwood Date:November 8 2007 12:13am
Subject:Re: Character encoding problem
View as plain text
Hello,

I too strict mode off on advice of a post in a forum.

It allowed me to enter the items but they do not go in..

I am using EMS mysql manager sql editor to do it.

This is my variables:

                                                            Variable_name
Value

                                                      character_set_client
utf8

                                                  character_set_connection
utf8

                                                    character_set_database
utf8

                                                  character_set_filesystem
binary

                                                     character_set_results
utf8

                                                      character_set_server
utf8

                                                      character_set_system
utf8

                                                        character_sets_dir
C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.0\share\charsets\

The SHOW FULL COLUMNS FROM `newsletter`; says the colums are utf8 and the
table is utf8

When I do this statement it basically makes the field blank:

SET NAMES utf8;
SET CHARACTER SET utf8;

update `newsletter` set `newsletter`.`story` = "é û ê à
èé û ê à èé û ê à
è"
where `newsletter`.`news_id` = 35;

Can anyone shed some light on what I am doing wrong?

--James