List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From: mysql Date:November 7 2007 8:23pm
Subject:Re: Character encoding problem
View as plain text
James Sherwood wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We are trying to upgrade from 4.0 to 5 and we are not having any luck on
> the character sets.
>
> We need to use French characters for some things.
>
> We have tried setting utf8 for everything we can find but the characters
> still show all screwed up..
>
> I have read the manual regarding all the variables and have placed all I
> can in the my.ini etc.
>
> Can someone who has it working post the relevant info from their ini
> file along with any help for other setting we need to change?

Are you referring to data that is inserted via the client? If so, make
sure to issue the following upon connecting:

SET NAMES utf8;
SET CHARACTER SET utf8;

Was this dumped from the version 4.x DB? Are you sure that it really is
UTF-8?

If this is a web app, do you see any difference betwen the browser and a
terminal? If you're looking at it through a browser, ensure that the
correct character set header is sent out.

brian
Thread
Trigger problemLucky Wijaya7 Nov
  • Re: Trigger problemDavid Schneider-Joseph7 Nov
    • Re: Trigger problemLucky Wijaya7 Nov
      • Re: Trigger problemDavid Schneider-Joseph7 Nov
        • Character encoding problemJames Sherwood7 Nov
          • Re: Character encoding problemmysql7 Nov
            • Re: Character encoding problemJames Sherwood7 Nov
              • Re: Character encoding problemJames Sherwood8 Nov
                • Re: Character encoding problemJames Sherwood8 Nov
              • Re: Character encoding problemmysql8 Nov
                • Character encoding problem STILLJames Sherwood9 Nov
                  • Re: Character encoding problem STILLAnanda Kumar9 Nov
        • Re: Trigger problemLucky Wijaya9 Nov
          • Re: Trigger problemScott13 Nov