List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:David Schneider-Joseph Date:November 7 2007 6:35pm
Subject:Re: Trigger problem
View as plain text
My apologies, try this:

> DELIMITER ;;
>
> CREATE TRIGGER DEL_TB_INSTRUKSI AFTER DELETE ON Tb_Instruksi
> FOR EACH ROW
> BEGIN
>  DELETE FROM Tb_Stuffing WHERE No_Instruksi = OLD.No_Instruksi;
> END;
> ;;
>
> DELIMITER ;

To answer your question:

The DELIMITER statement tells MySQL to use a different set of
characters to terminate statements.  This is necessary when you want
to use a ";" in your actual statement.  In this case, the entire
trigger definition is considered one statement, but the ";" in the
"DELETE..." line is being interpreted as the termination of it.

Yes, it's dumb.

On Nov 7, 2007, at 2:53 AM, Lucky Wijaya wrote:

> No, I didn't set the delimiter. But, it still have an error after I
> set delimiter in my trigger as your example. By the way, what's
> delimiter mean ? And what it's for ?
>
> Thanks to you Mr. David.
>
> David Schneider-Joseph <david@stripped> wrote: Lucky,
>
> Did you make sure to set your delimiter before and after the CREATE
> TRIGGER statement?  e.g.:
>
> DELIMITER ;;
>
> CREATE TRIGGER DEL_TB_INSTRUKSI AFTER DELETE ON Tb_Instruksi
> FOR EACH ROW
> BEGIN
>  DELETE FROM Tb_Stuffing WHERE No_Instruksi = OLD.No_Instruksi;
> END;;
>
> DELIMITER ;
>
> On Nov 6, 2007, at 11:11 PM, Lucky Wijaya wrote:
>
>> Hi, my name is Lucky from Indonesia. I build an database application
>> using Delphi 7 & MySQL as the RDBMS. Now, I'm having problem in
>> creating trigger in MySQL. Here is the code of the trigger:
>>
>> CREATE TRIGGER DEL_TB_INSTRUKSI AFTER DELETE ON Tb_Instruksi
>> FOR EACH ROW
>> BEGIN
>> DELETE FROM Tb_Stuffing WHERE No_Instruksi = OLD.No_Instruksi;
>> END;
>>
>> It results an error message that the SQL syntax (on delete command)
>> is incorrect. I didn't find yet the incorrect part of my SQL syntax.
>> Could somebody help my problem ? Thank you very much.
>>
>> Note: I'm already using MySQL v. 5.0.41 and using GUI in creating
>> the trigger. I also have tried to create the trigger through mysql
>> command line, but it result the same error message.

> http://mail.yahoo.com

Thread
Trigger problemLucky Wijaya7 Nov
  • Re: Trigger problemDavid Schneider-Joseph7 Nov
    • Re: Trigger problemLucky Wijaya7 Nov
      • Re: Trigger problemDavid Schneider-Joseph7 Nov
        • Character encoding problemJames Sherwood7 Nov
          • Re: Character encoding problemmysql7 Nov
            • Re: Character encoding problemJames Sherwood7 Nov
              • Re: Character encoding problemJames Sherwood8 Nov
                • Re: Character encoding problemJames Sherwood8 Nov
              • Re: Character encoding problemmysql8 Nov
                • Character encoding problem STILLJames Sherwood9 Nov
                  • Re: Character encoding problem STILLAnanda Kumar9 Nov
        • Re: Trigger problemLucky Wijaya9 Nov
          • Re: Trigger problemScott13 Nov