List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Peter Brawley Date:October 30 2007 5:54am
Subject:Re: Sort results by order in list
View as plain text
>I.e. the ideal output would be:
>+-------+---------------------+
>| id    | start_date          |
>+-------+---------------------+
>| 109k7 | 2007-10-07 12:06:58 |
>| s3x6  | 2007-10-07 08:58:20 |
>| wt57  | 2007-10-07 15:57:37 |
>| sxmns | 2007-10-06 02:17:30 |
>+-------+---------------------+

What rule generates the order 109k7, s3x6, wt57, sxmns?

PB

Papalagi Pakeha wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a query like:
> SELECT id, start_date FROM iddt WHERE id IN ('109k7','s3x6','sxmns','wt57');
> which gives me:
> +-------+---------------------+
> | id    | start_date          |
> +-------+---------------------+
> | 109k7 | 2007-10-07 12:06:58 |
> | sxmns | 2007-10-06 02:17:30 |
> | wt57  | 2007-10-07 15:57:37 |
> | s3x6  | 2007-10-07 08:58:20 |
> +-------+---------------------+
>
> How can I get the results sorted by the order in which they appear in
> the ID list? Indeed I could do it in the application but prefer to get
> the results in the right order from MySQL as the ID list may be long
> and I may need only first few entries cropped by LIMIT clause. Ideally
> it should ORDER BY DATE(start_date) DESC and then by the ID list. Do I
> need some sort of stored function for that?
>
> I.e. the ideal output would be:
> +-------+---------------------+
> | id    | start_date          |
> +-------+---------------------+
> | 109k7 | 2007-10-07 12:06:58 |
> | s3x6  | 2007-10-07 08:58:20 |
> | wt57  | 2007-10-07 15:57:37 |
> | sxmns | 2007-10-06 02:17:30 |
> +-------+---------------------+
>
> Thanks
>
> PaPa

Thread
Sort results by order in listPapalagi Pakeha30 Oct
  • Re: Sort results by order in listPeter Brawley30 Oct
    • Re: Sort results by order in listPapalagi Pakeha30 Oct
      • Re: Sort results by order in listPeter Brawley30 Oct
  • Re: Sort results by order in listSebastian Mendel30 Oct
    • Re: Sort results by order in listPapalagi Pakeha30 Oct
      • Re: Sort results by order in listJohan Höök30 Oct
        • Re: Sort results by order in listPapalagi Pakeha30 Oct