List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Baron Schwartz Date:October 27 2007 2:17pm
Subject:Re: Table Size
View as plain text
Josh wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a database that is growing at a rate of 4-5 MB per day (that number is getting
> larger as well).  Not too bad but I'm trying to clean up the tables to minimize the amount
> of space they take up.
>
> I have one particular table that has 2 columns:
> rolID  int(10) unsigned
> repID  int(10) unsigned
>
> Both are foreign keys to other tables.
>
> A "show table status" shows that this table has a Data_length=1081344 bytes.
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/storage-requirements.html shows that integers
> take up 4 bytes of space.
> There are currently 10472 rows in the table.
>
> 10472 x 4 x 2 = 83776
>
> What am I calculating wrong?  Why is the Data_length value so much larger?

It depends on the storage engine, indexes, and possibly other things.
What's the output of SHOW CREATE TABLE for this table?  If you can't
tell us that, what's the storage engine?

(yes, I know Index_length is separate, but humor me).

Baron
Thread
Table SizeJosh27 Oct
  • Re: Table SizeBaron Schwartz27 Oct