List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From: mysql Date:October 24 2007 3:46am
Subject:Re: Why can't I still not use an ALIAS in the SELECT portion of an
SQL statement?
View as plain text
Daevid Vincent wrote:
> Nope. I've only ever use mySQL. I only ever care to use mySQL. mySQL puts in
> plenty of other features that no other RDBMS has or uses, and other RDBMS
> have features that mySQL has, so what's the problem. Unless I was porting
> to/from another RDBMS?

This strikes me as a *terrible* reason.

It seems stupid that I can't do that though. I can
> use the alias in the HAVING clause, and also in an ORDER BY clause.

Yes, but those are HAVING and ORDER BY clauses. You recognise that they
are distinct parts of a SELECT statement, so ...

I'm not saying it's a trivial change

So far, i'd say that you're suggesting it is.

http://dev.mysql.com/tech-resources/articles/mysql-views.html

brian
Thread
Why can't I still not use an ALIAS in the SELECT portion of an SQL statement?Daevid Vincent23 Oct
  • Re: Why can't I still not use an ALIAS in the SELECT portion of anSQL statement?Peter Brawley24 Oct
    • RE: Why can't I still not use an ALIAS in the SELECT portion of an SQL statement?Daevid Vincent24 Oct
      • Re: Why can't I still not use an ALIAS in the SELECT portion of anSQL statement?mysql24 Oct
        • Re: Why can't I still not use an ALIAS in the SELECT portion of anSQL statement?mysql24 Oct