List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jay Pipes Date:October 12 2007 9:06pm
Subject:Re: Need help with a "natural sort order" for version numbers and
release code names
View as plain text
Daevid Vincent wrote:

> I'm trying to get some 'release/version numbers' to sort properly.
>
> mysql> SELECT ReleaseID, Name FROM releases ORDER BY Name DESC;
> +-----------+---------------------+
> | ReleaseID | Name                |
> +-----------+---------------------+
> |        18 | Unspecified         |
> |        20 | Next Patch          |
> |        58 | LOCset              |
> |        74 | Abashiri            |
> |        54 | 4.6.0 (Folsom)      |
> 						  <-- 4.5.10 should be here
> |        99 | 4.5.9               |
> |        98 | 4.5.6               |
> |        93 | 4.5.5 (Purdy)       |
> |        97 | 4.5.4               |
> |        96 | 4.5.3               |
> |        94 | 4.5.2               |
> |       100 | 4.5.10              |   <-- should be ^ there
> |        91 | 4.5.1 Deferred      |
> |        78 | 4.5.1 (Leavenworth) |
> |        95 | 4.2.7.4             |
> |        92 | 4.2.7.3             |
> |        90 | 4.2.7.2             |
> |        87 | 4.2.7.1             |
> |        88 | 4.2.7.0             |
>
> I like this order, especially with the top four,
> except for that 4.5.10 should be higher up,
> just under 4.6.0, not under 4.5.2 as it is now.
>
> So I tried the " + 0 " trick which makes things even worse
> (notice the 4.2.6.1 and 4.2.6.0 -- yipes!):
>
> mysql> SELECT ReleaseID, Name FROM releases ORDER BY Name + 0 DESC;

What about ORDER BY REPLACE(Name, '.', '') + 0 DESC?

> +-----------+---------------------+
> | ReleaseID | Name                |
> +-----------+---------------------+
> 						 ....(18,20,58,74) are moved
> :(
> |        54 | 4.6.0 (Folsom)      |
> |        78 | 4.5.1 (Leavenworth) |
> |       100 | 4.5.10              |
> |        91 | 4.5.1 Deferred      |
> |        93 | 4.5.5 (Purdy)       |
> |        94 | 4.5.2               |
> |        96 | 4.5.3               |
> |        97 | 4.5.4               |
> |        98 | 4.5.6               |
> |        99 | 4.5.9               |
> |        82 | 4.2.6.1             |  <<  ?
> |        76 | 4.2.2               |
> |        75 | 4.2.4               |
> |        72 | 4.2.1               |
> |        73 | 4.2.3               |
> |        67 | 4.2.6.0             |  <<  ?
>

> I'm pretty sure this is going to involve some sort of splitting the version
> from the release codeword via some string functions, and then operating on
> that part.
>

> D.Vin
> http://daevid.com
> ---
> eval() is my favorite templating engine.

Thread
Need help with a "natural sort order" for version numbers and release code namesDaevid Vincent12 Oct
  • Re: Need help with a "natural sort order" for version numbers andrelease code namesJay Pipes12 Oct
    • RE: Need help with a "natural sort order" for version numbers and release code namesDaevid Vincent12 Oct
  • Re: Need help with a "natural sort order" for version numbers and release code namesAdam Randall13 Oct
    • Re: Need help with a "natural sort order" for version numbers and release code namesAdam Randall13 Oct