List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Steve Kiehl Date:October 6 2007 12:51am
Subject:how to select second records in a group
View as plain text
I was a bit stumped on a good method to select the second record for
each distinct group in a table.  Say I have a table like the following:

NAME
	DATE
	AMOUNT
joe 	2007-10-03 19:44:57 	45
joe 	2007-10-06 19:46:18 	90
joe 	2007-10-07 19:37:21 	12
matt 	2007-10-03 19:36:54 	23
matt 	2007-10-04 19:37:09 	67
steve 	2007-10-03 19:36:35 	50
steve 	2007-10-04 19:36:54 	12
steve 	2007-10-05 19:37:21 	5

If I want the second date for each name in the table, how would I go
about doing that?  I've found it easy to get the first date for each
name by a query like this:

SELECT name,MIN(date) FROM table GROUP BY name;

- or -

SELECT name,date FROM table GROUP BY name ORDER BY date;

I still am stumped on how I could get the record pertaining to the
second date for each name in the table.  Your thoughts?

Thanks,

Steve

Thread
how to select second records in a groupSteve Kiehl6 Oct
  • Re: how to select second records in a groupBaron Schwartz6 Oct
  • MySQL Server crashing & database corruptionSamuel Vogel7 Oct
    • Re: MySQL Server crashing & database corruptionSamuel Vogel7 Oct
      • Re: MySQL Server crashing & database corruptionSamuel Vogel7 Oct
        • Re: MySQL Server crashing & database corruptionSamuel Vogel10 Oct