List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Afan Pasalic Date:October 5 2007 3:42pm
Subject:do I need two tables or one will do just fine?
View as plain text
hi,
I have a employees table (first name, last_name, address, city, state,
zip, phone,...).
though, I got a requested to add additional info about people, like
phone_extension, zip+4, nick, DOB... that will not be used very often.
what would be better solution:
a) add these columns to employees table
b) create separate table employees_addition_info with these fields and
store info if any (with employee_id of course)

one friend of mine suggest me to keep all data in one table since the
"empty" fields will be NULL and  there will not be a lot of wasted
space. specially because I'll never have more than 200K records (right
now I have about 50K records). and "normalization" will not improve a lot?

any suggestions?

thanks.

-afan
Thread
do I need two tables or one will do just fine?Afan Pasalic5 Oct
  • RE: do I need two tables or one will do just fine?Jerry Schwartz5 Oct
  • RE: do I need two tables or one will do just fine?Daevid Vincent5 Oct
  • Re: do I need two tables or one will do just fine?John Meyer6 Oct
    • Re: do I need two tables or one will do just fine?afan pasalic8 Oct