List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Baron Schwartz Date:October 3 2007 1:18pm
Subject:Re: DB Schema Comparison Utility ?
View as plain text
Eric Frazier wrote:
> Daevid Vincent wrote:
>> This has been asked for many many times on this list, not sure why
>> mySQL AB
>> doesn't just release a command line tool like a 'mysql diff' and also a
>> 'mysql lint'. The lint one should be totally trivial for them to do,
>> as they
>> already have a SQL parser! I can't tell you how many times our daily
>> build
>> was broken by a missing semi-colon or some other SQL syntax error. We run
>> all commits through "php -l" and ruby's checker, but mysql is the only
>> one
>> we have to sweat over.
>>
>> While I'm glad that pretty GUI tools like Upscene's exist, that
>> doesn't do
>> us any good on a linux build system where it does an "svn checkout", runs
>> automated BVT tests, compiles code, uploads to a daily build
>> directory, etc.
>>
>> We need command line tools that run on linux.
>>
>> :(
> This is not quite what you were asking for, but I found this yesterday:
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/mysqltoolkit
>
> I think the guy has done a lot of really good work.

Why thank you :-)

I kept meaning to reply to this thread and mention mysqldiff:
http://www.adamspiers.org/computing/mysqldiff/

(Now that I search Google for it, I also see http://www.mysqldiff.org/,
but I'm unsure of the relationship between the two.)

I have not used it myself.

Baron
Thread
DB Schema Comparison Utility ?John Comerford28 Sep
  • Re: DB Schema Comparison Utility ?Martijn Tonies28 Sep
  • RE: DB Schema Comparison Utility ?Daevid Vincent1 Oct
    • RE: DB Schema Comparison Utility ?mark addison2 Oct
    • Re: DB Schema Comparison Utility ?Eric Frazier3 Oct
      • Re: DB Schema Comparison Utility ?Baron Schwartz3 Oct