List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Joerg Bruehe Date:September 28 2007 12:14pm
Subject:Re: MySQL 5.1.21 won't build on OpenBSD unless...
View as plain text
Hi Jake !

Jake Conk wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Not sure if this is known or not but I just wanted to let you guys
> know that MySQL 5.1.21 fails the make. I've never had this problem on
> other versions of mysql. It looks like GNU make worked all the way
> through but why won't regular make work anymore?

Thanks for the info !

The MySQL sources use the "autotools" (autoconf, automake etc) for
building, so the "Makefile"s you see in the source tarball are really
generated from "Makefile.am" when the source tarball is created.

It is easily possible that automake will create a Makefile which can be
handled by GNU "make", but not by some others - on our build hosts, we
install GNU make if needed. We did so on our FreeBSD 6.0 host.

I cannot say which change made the Makefiles unusable for BSD "make",
but most likely using GNU make is easier for you than trying to work
around that change.

As we use GNU make (almost ?) everywhere, changes in the fitness for
other variants will go by unnoticed for the MySQL build team.

Sorry I cannot offer you any other hint,
Joerg

MySQL AB, www.mysql.com
Thread
MySQL 5.1.21 won't build on OpenBSD unless...Jake Conk28 Sep
  • Re: MySQL 5.1.21 won't build on OpenBSD unless...Joerg Bruehe28 Sep
  • Re: MySQL 5.1.21 won't build on OpenBSD unless...Dan Nelson28 Sep
    • Re: MySQL 5.1.21 won't build on OpenBSD unless...Dan Nelson28 Sep
    • Re: MySQL 5.1.21 won't build on OpenBSD unless...Joerg Bruehe30 Sep