List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Martijn Tonies Date:September 27 2007 6:56am
Subject:Re: Ouch! ibdata files deleted. Why no catastrophe?
View as plain text

> On Wed, 2007-09-26 at 10:55 -0400, Jerry Schwartz wrote:
>
> > I don't know Linux that well, but I know that HP-UX lets you do most
> > anything to an open file, including deleting it. The file will continue
> > exist as long as it is open by at least one process. If I remember
> > correctly, this is all about the inode use count vs. the directory
entry, or
> > something like that. The file will actually be safe so long as it is not
> > closed by the last user.
>
> It sounds like Linux is the same.
>
> > Those files will go away as soon as they are closed, so the database
should
> > be dumped before shutting down mysqld.
>
> Done :)
>
> Thanks to all those who responded.
>
> I did a full backup last night and shut down mysql. At this point the
> innodb files were then completely deleted ( disappeared from the output
> of 'lsof' ) and the filesystem saw the extra space.
>
> I removed my /var/lib/mysql, reconfigured things, and imported, and
> everything went fine.

That's good to hear :-)

I am, btw, surprised that MySQL doesn't place a lock on the files.

Martijn Tonies
Upscene Productions
http://www.upscene.com
My thoughts:
http://blog.upscene.com/martijn/
http://www.databasedevelopmentforum.com

Thread
Ouch! ibdata files deleted. Why no catastrophe?Daniel Kasak26 Sep
  • Re: Ouch! ibdata files deleted. Why no catastrophe?Gary Josack26 Sep
    • Re: Ouch! ibdata files deleted. Why no catastrophe?Daniel Kasak26 Sep
      • Re: Ouch! ibdata files deleted. Why no catastrophe?Gary Josack26 Sep
        • Re: Ouch! ibdata files deleted. Why no catastrophe?Daniel Kasak26 Sep
          • Re: Ouch! ibdata files deleted. Why no catastrophe?Gary Josack26 Sep
        • Re: Ouch! ibdata files deleted. Why no catastrophe?Baron Schwartz26 Sep
          • Re: Ouch! ibdata files deleted. Why no catastrophe?Ananda Kumar26 Sep
            • Re: Ouch! ibdata files deleted. Why no catastrophe?Baron Schwartz26 Sep
  • Re: Ouch! ibdata files deleted. Why no catastrophe?Martijn Tonies26 Sep
    • RE: Ouch! ibdata files deleted. Why no catastrophe?Jerry Schwartz26 Sep
      • RE: Ouch! ibdata files deleted. Why no catastrophe?Daniel Kasak27 Sep
      • Re: Ouch! ibdata files deleted. Why no catastrophe?Joerg Bruehe28 Sep
  • Re: Ouch! ibdata files deleted. Why no catastrophe?Martijn Tonies27 Sep