List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:B. Keith Murphy Date:September 27 2007 2:39am
Subject:mysql user password funkyness
View as plain text
Everyone,

So I have never seen this before. I set up a database yesterday. I added a user today in
the normal manner..

ie

grant usage on *.* to 'username'@'%' identified by 'password';

Here is the thing. You exit the console and try to log in with mysql -u username
-ppassword and it won't let you in...

BUT it log in with both "mysql -u username" and also "mysql -u username -p (hit enter
key)". So the user account works without a password.

executing the show grants command shows a password so this shouldn't work. Never had this
problem before and kind of hard to google for "mysql user login without password but has
password"..

show grants for 'user'@'%';
+----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

| Grants for icp@% |
+----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

| GRANT USAGE ON *.* TO 'user'@'%' IDENTIFIED BY PASSWORD 'password_hash' |
+----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

There are other privileges for the appropriate databases but they really aren't relevant.

thanks,

Keith

--
B. Keith Murphy
Database Administrator

Thread
mysql user password funkynessB. Keith Murphy27 Sep
  • Re: mysql user password funkynessMichael Dykman27 Sep
  • Re: mysql user password funkynessB. Keith Murphy27 Sep