List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Gary Josack Date:September 26 2007 3:40am
Subject:Re: Ouch! ibdata files deleted. Why no catastrophe?
View as plain text
For future reference. The files do actually continue to be written to. I
experience this all the time when people delete logs files and space
keeps filling up.

Daniel Kasak wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-09-25 at 23:11 -0400, Gary Josack wrote:
>

>> Well if you can stop all instances of writes to the databases you should
>> be able to recover them.
>>
>> Each file is going to be in /proc/5460/fd/10-17
>>
>> the file number corresponds to the fd you see in lsof output
>>
>> ex:
>> cp /proc/5460/fd/10 ibdata2
>>
>> This is still risky and i reccomend you get a dump immediately. As soon
>> as you restart mysql those files are gone forever.
>>

> Yes I've been reading / thinking more about this, and I've decided
> against it. There's no real guarantee that MySQL will have written
> everything to the ibdata files at the point when I make a snapshot of
> them ( at least as far as I know ). Since the nightly backups are still
> working perfectly, I'll just shut down MySQL when the backup completes,
> delete /var/lib/mysql, and import the backup. That sounds a lot safer
> than anything else at the moment.
>
> Thanks again for your response. At least I learned about lsof and
> recovering deleted files :)
>

> --
> Daniel Kasak
> IT Developer
> NUS Consulting Group
> Level 5, 77 Pacific Highway
> North Sydney, NSW, Australia 2060
> T: (+61) 2 9922-7676 / F: (+61) 2 9922 7989
> email: dkasak@stripped
> website: http://www.nusconsulting.com.au

Thread
Ouch! ibdata files deleted. Why no catastrophe?Daniel Kasak26 Sep
  • Re: Ouch! ibdata files deleted. Why no catastrophe?Gary Josack26 Sep
    • Re: Ouch! ibdata files deleted. Why no catastrophe?Daniel Kasak26 Sep
      • Re: Ouch! ibdata files deleted. Why no catastrophe?Gary Josack26 Sep
        • Re: Ouch! ibdata files deleted. Why no catastrophe?Daniel Kasak26 Sep
          • Re: Ouch! ibdata files deleted. Why no catastrophe?Gary Josack26 Sep
        • Re: Ouch! ibdata files deleted. Why no catastrophe?Baron Schwartz26 Sep
          • Re: Ouch! ibdata files deleted. Why no catastrophe?Ananda Kumar26 Sep
            • Re: Ouch! ibdata files deleted. Why no catastrophe?Baron Schwartz26 Sep
  • Re: Ouch! ibdata files deleted. Why no catastrophe?Martijn Tonies26 Sep
    • RE: Ouch! ibdata files deleted. Why no catastrophe?Jerry Schwartz26 Sep
      • RE: Ouch! ibdata files deleted. Why no catastrophe?Daniel Kasak27 Sep
      • Re: Ouch! ibdata files deleted. Why no catastrophe?Joerg Bruehe28 Sep
  • Re: Ouch! ibdata files deleted. Why no catastrophe?Martijn Tonies27 Sep