List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Gary Josack Date:September 25 2007 11:27pm
Subject:Re: Ouch! ibdata files deleted. Why no catastrophe?
View as plain text
Did the space become available when deleted?

try:
lsof | grep deleted

see if they're still running in memory. if so you might be able to save
them.

Daniel Kasak wrote:
> [...]
> deleted while mysql was up, but this clearly wasn't the case ( or was
> it? perhaps they are still around? ).
>
> The astonishing thing is that mysql doesn't seem to care about this. It
> happened 1 week ago, and no-one has complained about any
> database-related problems since. I've got a nightly backup script which
> does a 'mysqldump' on each database, and then restarts the server
> ( which gives me daily transaction logs ).
>
> Tonight, I obviously plan on doing a complete reinstall from an old
> backup, and running the transaction logs.
>
> But, just out of curiosity ... what the hell is going on? Why is mysql
> not complaining bitterly, crashing, and worse?
>
> Note the lack of ibdata1 ... ibdata9
>
> screamer mysql # ls -l
> total 2885424
> drwx------ 2 mysql mysql       480 Nov 26  2006 Assets
> drwx------ 2 mysql mysql       168 Sep 21 14:57 EPricing
> drwx------ 2 mysql mysql     12512 Sep 25 21:04 NUS
> drwx------ 2 mysql mysql       656 Nov 26  2006 Timekeeper
> drwx------ 2 mysql mysql      1216 Jul  4 08:46 dbmail
> drwx------ 2 mysql mysql       648 Aug 13 14:18 dspam
> drwx------ 2 mysql mysql     16584 Sep 18 09:32 ebills
> drwx------ 2 mysql mysql       824 Sep 24 14:45 energy
> -rw-rw---- 1 mysql mysql   5242880 Sep 26 09:08 ib_logfile0
> -rw-rw---- 1 mysql mysql   5242880 Sep 26 09:08 ib_logfile1
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root  root 15112077312 Sep 26 09:08 ibdata10
> drwx------ 2 mysql mysql      1848 Nov 26  2006 mysql
> drwx------ 2 mysql mysql       648 Dec 20  2006 roundcubemail
> drwx------ 3 mysql mysql      6240 Sep 26 08:54 sales
> -rw-rw---- 1 mysql mysql 239845598 Sep 14 20:40 screamer-bin.000201
> -rw-rw---- 1 mysql mysql 591774120 Sep 17 20:44 screamer-bin.000202
> -rw-rw---- 1 mysql mysql 289226895 Sep 18 20:38 screamer-bin.000203
> -rw-rw---- 1 mysql mysql 281415790 Sep 19 20:36 screamer-bin.000204
> -rw-rw---- 1 mysql mysql 286245722 Sep 20 20:37 screamer-bin.000205
> -rw-rw---- 1 mysql mysql 331061564 Sep 21 20:43 screamer-bin.000206
> -rw-rw---- 1 mysql mysql 411650198 Sep 24 20:38 screamer-bin.000207
> -rw-rw---- 1 mysql mysql 309576301 Sep 25 20:37 screamer-bin.000208
> -rw-rw---- 1 mysql mysql 140007700 Sep 26 09:08 screamer-bin.000209
> -rw-rw---- 1 mysql mysql      3520 Sep 25 20:37 screamer-bin.index
> -rw-rw---- 1 mysql mysql  60432327 Sep 26 09:06 screamer-slow.log
> drwx------ 2 mysql mysql        80 Sep 20 11:16 test
> screamer mysql #
>
> The only way I can explain the fact that things are still working is
> that these files are in fact *not* deleted, and are still in use by
> mysql, but not visible to anything else. But that's ridiculous as well.
> So what's going on?
>

> --
> Daniel Kasak
> IT Developer
> NUS Consulting Group
> Level 5, 77 Pacific Highway
> North Sydney, NSW, Australia 2060
> T: (+61) 2 9922-7676 / F: (+61) 2 9922 7989

Thread
Ouch! ibdata files deleted. Why no catastrophe?Daniel Kasak26 Sep
  • Re: Ouch! ibdata files deleted. Why no catastrophe?Gary Josack26 Sep
    • Re: Ouch! ibdata files deleted. Why no catastrophe?Daniel Kasak26 Sep
      • Re: Ouch! ibdata files deleted. Why no catastrophe?Gary Josack26 Sep
        • Re: Ouch! ibdata files deleted. Why no catastrophe?Daniel Kasak26 Sep
          • Re: Ouch! ibdata files deleted. Why no catastrophe?Gary Josack26 Sep
        • Re: Ouch! ibdata files deleted. Why no catastrophe?Baron Schwartz26 Sep
          • Re: Ouch! ibdata files deleted. Why no catastrophe?Ananda Kumar26 Sep
            • Re: Ouch! ibdata files deleted. Why no catastrophe?Baron Schwartz26 Sep
  • Re: Ouch! ibdata files deleted. Why no catastrophe?Martijn Tonies26 Sep
    • RE: Ouch! ibdata files deleted. Why no catastrophe?Jerry Schwartz26 Sep
      • RE: Ouch! ibdata files deleted. Why no catastrophe?Daniel Kasak27 Sep
      • Re: Ouch! ibdata files deleted. Why no catastrophe?Joerg Bruehe28 Sep
  • Re: Ouch! ibdata files deleted. Why no catastrophe?Martijn Tonies27 Sep