List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Philip Hallstrom Date:September 12 2007 9:12pm
Subject:Re: ordering dates
View as plain text
> $result= mysql_query("SELECT date_format(date, '%d/%m/%Y') as date, title,
> id, display FROM news ORDER BY date DESC ");
>
> I have the query above the problem is oders them like so
>
> 30/05/2007
> 29/07/2007
> 25/0/2007
>

> The order is taken by the first number. Is there any way to order them
> properly without a timestamp?

You're ordering by "date" but previously you turn "date" into a string by
calling date_format on it.  Change the "as date" to something else and
then the ordering will be chronologically descending.  Like this:

SELECT date_format(date, '%d/%m/%Y') as formatted_date, title, id, display
FROM news ORDER BY date DESC

Thread
performance of extended insert vs. load dataSid Lane23 Jul
  • Re: performance of extended insert vs. load dataPerrin Harkins23 Jul
  • Re: performance of extended insert vs. load datamos23 Jul
    • Re: performance of extended insert vs. load dataPerrin Harkins23 Jul
  • ordering datesRoss Hulford12 Sep
    • Re: ordering datesMichael Dykman12 Sep
    • Re: ordering datesPhilip Hallstrom12 Sep
    • RE: ordering datesJerry Schwartz12 Sep
Re: performance of extended insert vs. load dataB. Keith Murphy23 Jul
  • Re: performance of extended insert vs. load dataMogens Melander24 Jul
  • Re: performance of extended insert vs. load dataRavi Prasad24 Jul