List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Rolando Edwards \(DBA\) Date:September 6 2007 1:43pm
Subject:Re: Problem creating a Trigger
View as plain text
Did you remember to switch your SQL delimiter ?

  MySQL default delimter for SQL is the semicolon ( ; )
  MySQL's stored procedure language also uses the semicolon to delimter statements.

  These two rules cannot peacefully coexist.
  You can get around this in three steps:

  1) Change you default SQL limiter to $$
  2) Create the Stored Procedure using END $$ instead of END;
  3) Change you default SQL limiter back to ;

  Like This:

  DELIMITER $$
create trigger updatepricech
after insert on tbl_prices for each row
BEGIN
DECLARE closep INTEGER;
select close into closep from temptable where Ticker = new.Ticker;
update tbl_prices set PriceCh = (Close - closep) where Ticker = new.Ticker
and Trade_date = new.Trade_date;
END $$
  DELIMITER ;

  Hey, give it a try !!!

anniyan <sriram.s@stripped> wrote:

Hi all,

When I am trying to create a trigger I get an error message which I am
unable to comprehend.

create trigger updatepricech
after insert on tbl_prices for each row
BEGIN
DECLARE closep INTEGER;

select close into closep from temptable where Ticker = new.Ticker;
update tbl_prices set PriceCh = (Close - closep) where Ticker = new.Ticker
and Trade_date = new.Trade_date;
end;

I get the error :

#1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that
corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ''
at line 4

Here line 4 is the declaration part.

Can you please let me know what could be wrong in this query?