List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Hiep Nguyen Date:September 4 2007 7:29pm
Subject:Re: timestamp for update and insert
View as plain text
is it possible to do without trigger?

i google and found this link:
http://sql-info.de/mysql/examples/CREATE-TABLE-examples.html

but when i tried to combine two examples into one CREATE statement and it
didn't work.

any idea?

is there a way to create this table that accomplishes these two goals?

thanks,
T. Hiep

On Tue, 4 Sep 2007, Michael Dykman wrote:

> Triggers are a fine idea, but I would use a trigger for both cases..
> no point putting that level of housekeeping on the application when
> you can set rules in the database and more or less forget about it.
>
> - michael
>

> On 9/4/07, Olaf Stein <steino@stripped> wrote:
>> I would use a trigger (at least for the update)....
>>
>> The first insert should work with now() and you can leave lastupdateted
>> empty
>>

>> Olaf
>>

>> On 9/4/07 3:01 PM, "Hiep Nguyen" <hiep@stripped> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi list,
>>>
>>> i tried to create a table with inserted & lastupdated timestamp fields:
>>>
>>> create table temp (
>>> id int not null primary ke auto_increment,
>>> data varchar(100),
>>> inserted timestamp default now(),
>>> lastupdated timestamp(8));
>>>

>>> how do i get mysql to put in the current timestamp for inserted &
>>> lastupdated fields when i insert a record and only lastupdated when i
>>> update the record?
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>> T. Hiep
>>>

>> --

> - michael dykman
> - mdykman@stripped
>
> - All models are wrong.  Some models are useful.

timestamp for update and insertHiep Nguyen4 Sep
  • Re: timestamp for update and insertOlaf Stein4 Sep
    • Re: timestamp for update and insertMichael Dykman4 Sep
      • Re: timestamp for update and insertOlaf Stein4 Sep
      • Re: timestamp for update and insertHiep Nguyen4 Sep
        • Re: timestamp for update and insertMichael Dykman4 Sep
          • Re: timestamp for update and insertHiep Nguyen4 Sep
            • Re: timestamp for update and insertOlaf Stein4 Sep
  • RE: timestamp for update and insertDaevid Vincent4 Sep