List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Dykman Date:September 4 2007 7:15pm
Subject:Re: timestamp for update and insert
View as plain text
Triggers are a fine idea, but I would use a trigger for both cases..
no point putting that level of housekeeping on the application when
you can set rules in the database and more or less forget about it.

 - michael

On 9/4/07, Olaf Stein <steino@stripped> wrote:
> I would use a trigger (at least for the update)....
>
> The first insert should work with now() and you can leave lastupdateted
> empty
>

> Olaf
>

> On 9/4/07 3:01 PM, "Hiep Nguyen" <hiep@stripped> wrote:
>
> > Hi list,
> >
> > i tried to create a table with inserted & lastupdated timestamp fields:
> >
> > create table temp (
> > id int not null primary ke auto_increment,
> > data varchar(100),
> > inserted timestamp default now(),
> > lastupdated timestamp(8));
> >

> > how do i get mysql to put in the current timestamp for inserted &
> > lastupdated fields when i insert a record and only lastupdated when i
> > update the record?
> >
> > thanks,
> > T. Hiep

 - michael dykman
 - mdykman@stripped

 - All models are wrong.  Some models are useful.
Thread
timestamp for update and insertHiep Nguyen4 Sep
  • Re: timestamp for update and insertOlaf Stein4 Sep
    • Re: timestamp for update and insertMichael Dykman4 Sep
      • Re: timestamp for update and insertOlaf Stein4 Sep
      • Re: timestamp for update and insertHiep Nguyen4 Sep
        • Re: timestamp for update and insertMichael Dykman4 Sep
          • Re: timestamp for update and insertHiep Nguyen4 Sep
            • Re: timestamp for update and insertOlaf Stein4 Sep
  • RE: timestamp for update and insertDaevid Vincent4 Sep