List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Baron Schwartz Date:August 22 2007 12:25am
Subject:Re: Why is the average of an int column returned as a string
View as plain text
Eric Lommatsch wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am working with a query that calculates the averages of survey answers.
>
> The survey answers are stored in the database as int(11) fields. When I run
> the query the results that I am getting are being returned as string data.
>
> The query that I am working with is a data source for a Crystal Reports
> reports. The average columns that are being returned by the query are used in
> the report in fields that have been formatted for double values.
>
> I am using MySQL 5.0.18 as the database. What would I have to do to get the
> averages of Int columns to return as doubles, rather then having to change
> all of my columns to be double columns?

I'm a little unclear where they're being returned as strings, and how
you know they're strings and not floats.  I think the math is done with
floats, so even if your columns are floating-point, you'll get the same
results.  But in general, you can use CAST(), though CAST-ing to a
floating-point isn't supported.  I don't know why not.

SELECT CAST(AVG(col) AS DECIMAL(9,2)...

Baron
Thread
Why is the average of an int column returned as a stringEric Lommatsch21 Aug
  • Re: Why is the average of an int column returned as a stringBaron Schwartz22 Aug
    • Re: Why is the average of an int column returned as a stringPaul DuBois22 Aug
  • Re: Why is the average of an int column returned as a stringDan Nelson22 Aug
RE: Why is the average of an int column returned as a stringRhys Campbell22 Aug
RE: Why is the average of an int column returned as a stringEric Lommatsch22 Aug
RE: Why is the average of an int column returned as a stringRhys Campbell23 Aug