List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Mogens Melander Date:August 18 2007 3:19pm
Subject:Re: Password storage
View as plain text
On Sat, August 18, 2007 15:53, C K wrote:
> Thanks to all,
> but the problem is that I am using external programs to insert data and I
> can't use MySQL functions directly. Can I call/implement such type of
> functions using MS Access 2003?

MD5() is not an encryption function. The MySQL manual states:

Calculates an MD5 128-bit checksum for the string. The value
is returned as a binary string of 32 hex digits, or NULL if
the argument was NULL. The return value can, for example,
be used as a hash key.

mysql> SELECT MD5('testing');
        -> 'ae2b1fca515949e5d54fb22b8ed95575'

This is the “RSA Data Security, Inc. MD5 Message-Digest Algorithm.”

You might want to look at ENCODE() and DECODE() functions. Again from the manual:

Decrypts the encrypted string crypt_str using pass_str as
the password. crypt_str should be a string returned from ENCODE().

Encrypt str using pass_str as the password.
To decrypt the result, use DECODE().

The result is a binary string of the same length as str.

The strength of the encryption is based on how good the random
generator is. It should suffice for short strings.

These are all functions you use in your sql statement, so yes. They can be
used in MS Access.

Mogens Melander
+45 40 85 71 38
+66 870 133 224

believed to be clean.

Password storageC K18 Aug
  • Re: Password storageYoge18 Aug
  • Re: Password storageSudheer Satyanarayana18 Aug
    • Re: Password storageC K18 Aug
      • Re: Password storageMogens Melander18 Aug
        • Re: Password storageMike Aubury18 Aug
          • Re: Password storageMogens Melander18 Aug
      • Re: Password storageSudheer Satyanarayana18 Aug
      • Re: Password storageMichael Dykman20 Aug
        • mysql errorCharles Brown20 Aug
          • Re: mysql errorMichael Dykman20 Aug
          • Re: mysql errorMike Zupan20 Aug
  • Re: Password storageDavid T. Ashley19 Aug