List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Mogens Melander Date:August 18 2007 3:19pm
Subject:Re: Password storage
View as plain text
On Sat, August 18, 2007 15:53, C K wrote:
> Thanks to all,
> but the problem is that I am using external programs to insert data and I
> can't use MySQL functions directly. Can I call/implement such type of
> functions using MS Access 2003?

MD5() is not an encryption function. The MySQL manual states:

<QUOTE>

MD5(str)

Calculates an MD5 128-bit checksum for the string. The value
is returned as a binary string of 32 hex digits, or NULL if
the argument was NULL. The return value can, for example,
be used as a hash key.

mysql> SELECT MD5('testing');
        -> 'ae2b1fca515949e5d54fb22b8ed95575'

This is the “RSA Data Security, Inc. MD5 Message-Digest Algorithm.”

</QUOTE>

You might want to look at ENCODE() and DECODE() functions. Again from the manual:

<QUOTE>

DECODE(crypt_str,pass_str)

Decrypts the encrypted string crypt_str using pass_str as
the password. crypt_str should be a string returned from ENCODE().

ENCODE(str,pass_str)

Encrypt str using pass_str as the password.
To decrypt the result, use DECODE().

The result is a binary string of the same length as str.

The strength of the encryption is based on how good the random
generator is. It should suffice for short strings.

</QUOTE>

These are all functions you use in your sql statement, so yes. They can be
used in MS Access.

--
Later

Mogens Melander
+45 40 85 71 38
+66 870 133 224

believed to be clean.

Thread
Password storageC K18 Aug
  • Re: Password storageYoge18 Aug
  • Re: Password storageSudheer Satyanarayana18 Aug
    • Re: Password storageC K18 Aug
      • Re: Password storageMogens Melander18 Aug
        • Re: Password storageMike Aubury18 Aug
          • Re: Password storageMogens Melander18 Aug
      • Re: Password storageSudheer Satyanarayana18 Aug
      • Re: Password storageMichael Dykman20 Aug
        • mysql errorCharles Brown20 Aug
          • Re: mysql errorMichael Dykman20 Aug
          • Re: mysql errorMike Zupan20 Aug
  • Re: Password storageDavid T. Ashley19 Aug