List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Martijn Tonies Date:August 15 2007 8:22pm
Subject:Re: Recreate Table With Sorted Data
View as plain text
John,

>I have a table with 1600 student locks in random order. I would like them
permanently sorted by the locker number they are >assigned to. I assumed
that ...

>~  I would copy the table under a different name
>~ Delete all records from this copy
>~ Write a statement that would copy the records from the original table
into the copied table in SORTED order
>~ Delete the original table
>~ Rename the copy  to the same name as the original
>
>Question 1: Is there a better way to get the desired result?
>Question 2: If not, what would the Insert/Select statement look like that
would copy the records over in sorted order?

Tables aren't sorted. Period.

Only result-sets can be sorted.

Martijn Tonies
MS SQL Server
Upscene Productions
http://www.upscene.com
My thoughts:
http://blog.upscene.com/martijn/
http://www.databasedevelopmentforum.com

Thread
Recreate Table With Sorted DataJohn Kebbel15 Aug
  • Re: Recreate Table With Sorted DataWm Mussatto15 Aug
  • Re: Recreate Table With Sorted DataMartijn Tonies15 Aug
    • Re: Recreate Table With Sorted DataDan Nelson15 Aug
    • Re: Recreate Table With Sorted DataMichael Dykman15 Aug
  • Re: Recreate Table With Sorted DataMartijn Tonies15 Aug
Re: Recreate Table With Sorted DataJohn Kebbel15 Aug
  • Re: Recreate Table With Sorted DataMartijn Tonies16 Aug
  • Re: Recreate Table With Sorted DataChris Boget16 Aug
Re: Recreate Table With Sorted DataJohn Kebbel18 Aug