List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Joerg Bruehe Date:August 14 2007 11:29am
Subject:Re: MySQL Ends Enterprise Server Source Tarballs
View as plain text
Hi Daevid, all!

Daevid Vincent wrote:
> Is this anything to be concerned about?
> We are Enterprise customers. We distribute mySQL on our appliance that
> we sell.
>
> It doesn't seem like we should worry, now. But I'm a little nervous
> about the future?
>
> http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/08/09/2047231
> <http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/08/09/2047231&from=rss>
> &from=rss
>
>  <http://www.linux.com/feature/118489>
> http://www.linux.com/feature/118489

There is no intent at MySQL AB to hide the sources from the receivers of
the binaries:
Enterprise customers will continue to receive the enterprise sources.
For those who use the GPL'ed builds, this is dictated by the GPL;
for those using a commercial license, similar arrangements exist.

And community users obviously also get (and will get) the sources.

All these sources of fixed versions (as opposed to ongoing development)
are handled as tarballs (.tar.gz) in our build processes, so these files
are what we make accessible.

I do not see either of this to change in the future - access to the
sources is an important part of the MySQL AB principles.

The only thing that really changed is the location, and this is what
some people make a fuss about (which I should not comment any further).

HTH,
Joerg

MySQL AB, www.mysql.com
Thread
MySQL Ends Enterprise Server Source Tarballs Daevid Vincent10 Aug
  • Re: MySQL Ends Enterprise Server Source TarballsEric Bergen13 Aug
    • Re: MySQL Ends Enterprise Server Source TarballsCraig Huffstetler13 Aug
    • Re: MySQL Ends Enterprise Server Source TarballsMark Leith14 Aug
  • Re: MySQL Ends Enterprise Server Source TarballsJoerg Bruehe14 Aug