List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Kristian Myllymäki Date:August 14 2007 7:50am
Subject:Re: index, unique index question
View as plain text
A composite index on both columns may be used by queries involving
either both columns, or the first column in the index.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/multiple-column-indexes.html

So, an index on (receiver_id, sender_id) may be used by predicates on
both columns or receiver_id alone, but never sender_id alone. (Or I
should never say never, since mysql could in the future implement an
index scan on the secondary column if the first has very few distinct
values).

Since James only uses the predicates alone and never combined, I would
also suggest a secondary index on (sender_id).

unique index (receiver_id, sender_id)
index (sender_id)

/Kristian