List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Mark Kirkwood Date:July 30 2007 5:01am
Subject:Re: Migration from Oracle to MySQL
View as plain text
Grant Allen wrote:

> Storage engines are unique to MySQL? yes.  Is that good?  YMMV.  Most
> of the purported benefits can be achieved with Oracle's features
> without the compromises of balkanised storage engines.  You're right,
> they're not offered by Oracle, or anyone else ... there's a reason no
> other database bothers with storage engines - they got storage right
> the first time :-) (ooh ... the flames I'll get for that :-) ).  Sure,
> non-volatile data in a MyISAM table can be read at the speed of light,
> and handle the odd insert.  Funnily enough, a text file has the same
> properties.  They both suck for non-trivial concurrent transactions.
> I'd suggest taking a look at parallel DML, nologging, MVs,
> partitioning, direct-path insert, appended insert, RAC, ASM, ASSM,
> etc. etc. etc. in Oracle for more perspective

Grant,

LOL - an entertaining read!

One advantage of multiple storage engines that comes to mind is that you
can streamline your setup for different workloads:

- Innodb/Falcon for non-trivial concurrency workloads
- Myisam for fairly static or bulk-loaded (mainly) read workloads.

Is is hard - maybe impossible - to design one storage that engine does
*everything* well (e.g Oracle is not that good for very large data
warehouses, as any Teradata sales bloke will tell you...), so I think
this is a useful feature unique to Mysql.

Cheers

Mark
Thread
Error compiling on Solaris 6Giulio Troccoli26 Jul
  • Re: Error compiling on Solaris 6mysql26 Jul
    • RE: Error compiling on Solaris 6Giulio Troccoli26 Jul
      • Migration from Oracle to MySQLSrikalyan Tangirala26 Jul
        • Re: Migration from Oracle to MySQLGrant Allen27 Jul
          • Re: Migration from Oracle to MySQLMark Kirkwood30 Jul
    • Re: Migration from Oracle to MySQLMartijn Tonies26 Jul
    • Re: Migration from Oracle to MySQLMartijn Tonies30 Jul
      • Re: Migration from Oracle to MySQLMark Kirkwood31 Jul
    • Re: Migration from Oracle to MySQLMartijn Tonies31 Jul
RE: Migration from Oracle to MySQLRajesh Mehrotra26 Jul
  • RE: Migration from Oracle to MySQLSrikalyan Tangirala26 Jul
  • RE: Migration from Oracle to MySQLsliebman26 Jul
  • Re: Migration from Oracle to MySQLLuca Ferrari27 Jul