List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Grant Allen Date:July 27 2007 1:33am
Subject:Re: Migration from Oracle to MySQL
View as plain text
Tangirala, Srikalyan wrote:
> Hi All:
>
> Could you provide some more information about Oracle limitations, MySQL
> limitations, Oracle vs. MySQL etc?

Sure, let's play devil's advocate for a minute.

> Some things unique to MySQL that Oracle does not offer include:
>
> - Storage engines, choices like InnoDB, MyISAM & Cluster, give you
> specialized transactional, search/read optimized and highly available engines
> for storing your data

Storage engines are unique to MySQL? yes.  Is that good?  YMMV.  Most of
the purported benefits can be achieved with Oracle's features without
the compromises of balkanised storage engines.  You're right, they're
not offered by Oracle, or anyone else ... there's a reason no other
database bothers with storage engines - they got storage right the first
time :-) (ooh ... the flames I'll get for that :-) ).  Sure,
non-volatile data in a MyISAM table can be read at the speed of light,
and handle the odd insert.  Funnily enough, a text file has the same
properties.  They both suck for non-trivial concurrent transactions.
I'd suggest taking a look at parallel DML, nologging, MVs, partitioning,
direct-path insert, appended insert, RAC, ASM, ASSM,  etc. etc. etc. in
Oracle for more perspective
> - Fast connections

Nope, not unique.  Prespawned connections in Oracle are about as fast as
it gets for any db, short of using a cached connection.
> - Easy replication

We'll, if by unique and not offered by Oracle you mean you get to
experience the MySQL pain of sync'ing the data to start with by any one
of numerous half-baked manual methods, sure.  Silly old Oracle totally
automates that, even giving you several handy GUI or sql options
depending on your preference.  MySQL definitely wins on the "does half
the job" criteria.
> - Overall ease of use

Easy for who?  You're absolutely right for simple installs; a quick db
to support a simple web page; the persistence layer for a million and
one open source apps that could have chosen any db (mysql, postgres,
sqllite, jet, bdb, isam, you name it).  But have you ever tried to reorg
your physical storage in MySQL with the system online?  Get the
optimiser to do something intelligent with subselects?  Handle
transaction semantics across storage engines?  "Easy" isn't the word
that springs to mind.

(OK, I'm all suited up with the asbestos ... flame away :-) ).

Ciao
Fuzzy
:-)

Thread
Error compiling on Solaris 6Giulio Troccoli26 Jul
  • Re: Error compiling on Solaris 6mysql26 Jul
    • RE: Error compiling on Solaris 6Giulio Troccoli26 Jul
      • Migration from Oracle to MySQLSrikalyan Tangirala26 Jul
        • Re: Migration from Oracle to MySQLGrant Allen27 Jul
          • Re: Migration from Oracle to MySQLMark Kirkwood30 Jul
    • Re: Migration from Oracle to MySQLMartijn Tonies26 Jul
    • Re: Migration from Oracle to MySQLMartijn Tonies30 Jul
      • Re: Migration from Oracle to MySQLMark Kirkwood31 Jul
    • Re: Migration from Oracle to MySQLMartijn Tonies31 Jul
RE: Migration from Oracle to MySQLRajesh Mehrotra26 Jul
  • RE: Migration from Oracle to MySQLSrikalyan Tangirala26 Jul
  • RE: Migration from Oracle to MySQLsliebman26 Jul
  • Re: Migration from Oracle to MySQLLuca Ferrari27 Jul