List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Carlo Sogono Date:July 24 2007 2:54am
Subject:Re: su-like functionality
View as plain text
Mogens Melander wrote:
> On Mon, July 23, 2007 10:19, Carlo Sogono wrote:
>> Is there a way for mysql to login as an administrator and "su" to a
>> normal user?
>>
>> What I'd like to achieve is a way to log in to our clients' accounts (we
>> are a web-hosting company) without having to use their passwords. Having
>> to su keeps ownerships and stuff like that in check.
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Carlo
>
> ??? I'm having a hard time imagine what you want to do with that ???
>
> You, being the administrator (root), you should be able to do whatever,
> on any DB on your server, without being recognzied as anybody.
>
> Please elaborate.

Well first of all I'm a software developer so I do not know much about
administering the database, and even as a programmer I know only general
SQL commands and am not familiar with mysql-specific details.

We're implementing the Single Sign-On feature of phpMyAdmin. Our control
panel software logging our clients automatically into PMA by populating
the PMA session with their login credentials...however this would mean
that we have to store and retrieve their passwords (not ideal!). If I
used an administrator's password, then they would be able to see and
edit via PMA all the other databases in the system. Having an su-like
feature allows us to login to their account using their own username
without having to keep their passwords.

Hope that was clear. Other suggestions on getting around this problem is
also welcome.

Regards,
Carlo

Thread
su-like functionalityCarlo Sogono23 Jul
  • Re: su-like functionalityOlaf Stein23 Jul
  • Re: su-like functionalityMogens Melander24 Jul
    • Re: su-like functionalityCarlo Sogono24 Jul
      • Re: su-like functionalityMogens Melander24 Jul
    • Re: su-like functionalityPete Harlan25 Jul
  • RE: su-like functionalityOlaf Stein25 Jul