List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Sid Lane Date:July 23 2007 5:44pm
Subject:performance of extended insert vs. load data
View as plain text
all,

I need to migrate ~12GB of data from an Oracle 10 database to a MySQL
5.0one in as short a window as practically possible (throw tablespace
in r/o,
migrate data & repoint web servers - every minute counts).

the two approaches I am considering are:

1.  write a program that outputs the Oracle data to a fifo pipe (mknod) and
running a "load data infile" against it

2.  write a program that dynamically builds extended insert statements up to
length of max_allowed_packet (similar to mysqldump -e)

is either one significantly faster than the other?  I know I could benchmark
it but I was hoping someone could save me writing #2 to find out if it's not
the way to go...

are there additional (faster) approaches I have not thought of?

FWIW these are 95% innodb (5% myisam are static reference tables & can be
done in advance).

thanks!

Thread
performance of extended insert vs. load dataSid Lane23 Jul
  • Re: performance of extended insert vs. load dataPerrin Harkins23 Jul
  • Re: performance of extended insert vs. load datamos23 Jul
    • Re: performance of extended insert vs. load dataPerrin Harkins23 Jul
  • ordering datesRoss Hulford12 Sep
    • Re: ordering datesMichael Dykman12 Sep
    • Re: ordering datesPhilip Hallstrom12 Sep
    • RE: ordering datesJerry Schwartz12 Sep
Re: performance of extended insert vs. load dataB. Keith Murphy23 Jul
  • Re: performance of extended insert vs. load dataMogens Melander24 Jul
  • Re: performance of extended insert vs. load dataRavi Prasad24 Jul