List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Martijn Tonies Date:July 19 2007 9:52am
Subject:Re: Foreign key constraints - Known issues ?
View as plain text
>I just wanted to know whether there are any known issues in defining and
using Foreign key constraints in MySQL 4 and >MySQL 5.
>To be specific, are there any issues on using ON DELETE CASCADE and ON
UPDATE CASCADE?

>Would there be any performance issues when we define Foreign key
constraints?

>We dont define Foreign Key constraints here. But at the conceptual level we
know that there are foreign keys. But we do not >create foreign keys at the
physical level. Is this right?

No, that is not "right", cause it means anyone (or any mistake in your
software) can still bugger up your data.

Make sure to install your constraints, it is able to save you countless
hours
in the future.

Martijn Tonies
Upscene Productions
http://www.upscene.com
My thoughts:
http://blog.upscene.com/martijn/
http://www.databasedevelopmentforum.com

Thread
Foreign key constraints - Known issues ?Ratheesh K J19 Jul
  • Re: Foreign key constraints - Known issues ?Martijn Tonies19 Jul