List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Lucio Chiappetti Date:June 18 2007 2:31pm
Subject:echoing comments in mysql (changed 4.0 to 5.0 ?)
View as plain text
I have a number of database administration shell scripts which construct
into a temp file sequences of mysql commands AND comments (in a specific
custom format with @log-xxx@ codes) like these

/* @log-action@ DATE UPDATE of all correlations for table NAME */
  select concat(now(),' UPDATING ALL CORRELATION TABLES FOR TABLE $1 ' );
/* @log-check@ (re)create entries in Korrelations */
  create temporary table temp
   select * from Korrelations where Tab1='$pbda' ;

Then I submit such files to mysql with e.g.

mysql -vvv -u lssadmin -p`keylssadmin` xmmlssadmin < tmp.sql >! pre.log

Finally I reprocess pre.log which an awk scripts which interprets the
specially formatted comments (which are echoed in the log) to reformat the
log in HTML in a specific way

This has nicely worked since mysql 3.23, and currently with 4.0.21

I tried the same on a newer mysql 5.0.27, and with my surprise found that
the comments are no longer echoed on stdout !

This demonstrates the case

mysql -vvv -u $user -p$password $dbase << END
? /* this is a comment */
? select now();
END

on 4.0 I get as stdout

--------------
/* this is a comment */
select now()
--------------

+---------------------+
| now()               |
| 2007-06-18 16:14:32 |
1 row in set (0.01 sec)

Bye

but on 5.0 the first comment line is NOT echoed !

Is there a command line switch to repristinate the echo of comments in 5.0
as well ? All our logging policy depends on that !

echoing comments in mysql (changed 4.0 to 5.0 ?)Lucio Chiappetti18 Jun