List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Peter Brawley Date:June 17 2007 2:49pm
Subject:Re: Help with AVG query
View as plain text
Reynier,

>Normally with PHP I add every field, I mean (eval1, eval2,
>eval3, eval4, eval5) and then divide this result by 5, like
>a average. I know that SQL can do this directly using AVG
>function but I don't know how. Can any help me?

AVG computes an average across rows. If I understand you correctly, you
want the average of five columns within each row? That would be ...

SELECT (eval1+eval2+eval3+eval4+eval5)/5 as mean FROM ...

and if you want the average of that ...

SELECT AVG( (eval1+eval2+eval3+eval4+eval5)/5 ) AS superavg FROM ...

PB

-----