List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Atle Veka Date:June 14 2007 8:22pm
Subject:Re: MySql Host through Heartbeat
View as plain text
The "\!" command is specific to the mysql client and executes locally,
making it useless for this purpose.

If you don't have access to 5.0.41+ and the database you are querying is a
replicated slave, you can use the 'server_id' variable to tie the server
to an actual hostname (SHOW VARIABLES LIKE 'server_id') as it is unique.

Ben - just curious, why is heartbeat tied in with the server IP? Is it
monitoring the server instead of the mysql daemon to check if it's up? :)

Cheers,
Atle

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007, Scott Tanner wrote:

>   There's a 'report-host' option that can be set in the conf file to
> mask the host name. Sounds like this may be set.
>
>   If you want to get the server's actual host name from within mysql,
> how about running a system command:
>    mysql> \! hostname;
>
>    or
>
>    mysql> \! cat /etc/hostnames;  (debian)
>    mysql> \! cat /etc/hosts; (CentOS/rhel)
>

> Regards,
> Scott
>

> On Wed, 2007-06-13 at 17:46 +0100, Ben Clewett wrote:
> > What I know is that:
> >
> > Heartbeat with MySQL uses two IP's.  That of the server, and that of the
> > resource MySql.  The former is fixed, the latter moves with MySQL when
> > it's moved to another server.
> >
> > The one I need is the hostname of the physical server, not the resource.
> >
> > I've installed 5.0.41 and have found that the 'hostname' variable does
> > report the hostname of the physical server.  I have no idea how it does
> > it :)
> >
> > I have my solution, thanks for the help,
> >
> > Ben Clewett.
> >

> > Baron Schwartz wrote:

> well,
> stopping and

> report the
> any luck.

> information

> > > Debian and Gentoo have /etc/hostname and /etc/conf.d/hostname,
> > > respectively.  I would think this is what /usr/bin/hostname uses, and
> > > probably where the hostname server variable gets set from in MySQL 5.0.41.
> > >
> > > Baron

Thread
MySql Host through HeartbeatBen Clewett12 Jun
  • Re: MySql Host through HeartbeatBaron Schwartz12 Jun
    • Re: MySql Host through HeartbeatBen Clewett12 Jun
  • Re: MySql Host through HeartbeatGerald L. Clark12 Jun
    • Re: MySql Host through HeartbeatBaron Schwartz12 Jun
      • Re: MySql Host through HeartbeatGerald L. Clark12 Jun
        • Re: MySql Host through HeartbeatBaron Schwartz12 Jun
          • Re: MySql Host through HeartbeatBen Clewett13 Jun
            • Re: MySql Host through HeartbeatScott Tanner13 Jun
              • Re: MySql Host through HeartbeatAtle Veka14 Jun