List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Baron Schwartz Date:June 13 2007 4:58pm
Subject:Re: Before I shoot myself in the foot...
View as plain text
Hi Brian,

Brian Dunning wrote:
> ...if I add a column to a table with 40,000,000 records, will it cause
> that table to hang for any significant amount of time, and prevent other
> transactions? It's a MyISAM table and I was going to add a varchar(20)
> column, NULL. It's a very busy table, constant searches and inserts.

Yes, definitely.  If you look up the ALTER TABLE documentation it will explain the
details -- I think all SELECTs will continue to run okay, but INSERTs will wait until
the ALTER is done, then they will be applied to the altered table.

But don't hold me to that :-)

Baron
Thread
Before I shoot myself in the foot...Brian Dunning13 Jun
  • Re: Before I shoot myself in the foot...Baron Schwartz13 Jun
    • Re: Before I shoot myself in the foot...Brent Baisley13 Jun
  • Re: Before I shoot myself in the foot...Brian Dunning13 Jun
    • Re: Before I shoot myself in the foot...Ananda Kumar14 Jun
      • Re: Before I shoot myself in the foot...Baron Schwartz14 Jun
        • Re: Before I shoot myself in the foot...Ananda Kumar14 Jun
  • Re: Before I shoot myself in the foot...Martijn Tonies14 Jun