List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Kevin Hunter Date:June 11 2007 10:40pm
Subject:Re: MySQL Magazine - Issue 1 available NOW!!!!
View as plain text
At 5:53p -0400 on 11 Jun 2007, Gordan Bobic wrote:
> I don't understand this never-ending fascination with re-inventing
> a square wheel for an application for which the standard round type
> has already been kindly provided since year dot.

I imagine the reason for this "never-ending fascination ..." is along
the lines of education.  To the uninitiated, the idea of binding
variables seems weird and unintuitive.  "What?!  I don't want them to
be bound!  They're variables!  They're supposed to change."  Okay, so
it's a slight exaggeration, but I think the point is still good.  A
lot of folks pick up MySQL by fiddling around in their spare time.
Unless someone (among my friends, it's usually me) enlightens them to
better ways of doing things, and reasons for doing something in a
more abstract, not-always-immediately-intuitive way, folks just don't
know any better.  In that sense, this very discussion is /exactly/
what the magazine article should be creating.

For those who don't know, binding is a process that does two things:

1. Lets the database pre-parse a query

	This can give enormous boosts in speed because a large amount of the
time involved in getting information from the database is spent in
parsing and planning a query.  If you're planning to do the same
query many times over with only one or two different parameters, why
not only parse and plan it once, and then aggregate the cost over /
all/ the executions?

2. as well as let the database do any escaping necessary.

	The database designers ostensibly know best what characters need to
be escaped, so let them do it.  Besides, no sense in having multiple
definitions around, or reinventing a wheel, or wasting your time
doing something mundane.

In lieu of an example, I'll just point to the PHP site:

http://us.php.net/manual/en/function.mysqli-prepare.php

Kevin
Thread
MySQL Magazine - Issue 1 available NOW!!!!B. Keith Murphy4 Jun
  • RE: MySQL Magazine - Issue 1 available NOW!!!!Daevid Vincent4 Jun
    • Re: MySQL Magazine - Issue 1 available NOW!!!!NĂ©stor4 Jun
      • RE: MySQL Magazine - Issue 1 available NOW!!!!Daevid Vincent5 Jun
    • Re: MySQL Magazine - Issue 1 available NOW!!!!Jon Ribbens5 Jun
      • Re: MySQL Magazine - Issue 1 available NOW!!!!Peter Rosenthal7 Jun
        • Re: MySQL Magazine - Issue 1 available NOW!!!!Jon Ribbens7 Jun
    • Re: MySQL Magazine - Issue 1 available NOW!!!!Yves Goergen9 Jun
      • RE: MySQL Magazine - Issue 1 available NOW!!!!Daevid Vincent11 Jun
        • Re: MySQL Magazine - Issue 1 available NOW!!!!Gordan Bobic11 Jun
          • Re: MySQL Magazine - Issue 1 available NOW!!!!Kevin Hunter11 Jun