List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Peter Brawley Date:June 5 2007 9:58pm
Subject:Re: Sorting by a list of possible results in a column....
View as plain text
Mike

>I have a query that selects a list of results, ordering them by the status
>field.  However, I want to further sort that by the type of status, that is:

>Undefined
>Ready for Review
>Top Priority
>Priority
>Completed

ORDER BY FIELD( columnname, 'Undefined', 'Ready for Review', ... )

PB

Mike Morton wrote:
> I am sure that this has been asked - but in searching through google and
> lists for about an hour - hopefully someone will indulge me a repeat
> question here.
>
> I have a query that selects a list of results, ordering them by the status
> field.  However, I want to further sort that by the type of status, that is:
>
> Undefined
> Ready for Review
> Top Priority
> Priority
> Completed
> Etc...
>
> Every sort that I try, of course, sorts alphabetically.  Is there a way to
> define how the sort function works in the order by?
>
> I know that I could do this in PHP after populating the results into an
> array, but that is (in my opinion) an unnecessary step that could be handled
> at the database query....
>
> Thanks!
>
> Sample query:
> Select * from development order by status

Thread
Sorting by a list of possible results in a column....Mike Morton5 Jun
  • RE: Sorting by a list of possible results in a column....Jay Blanchard5 Jun
  • RE: Sorting by a list of possible results in a column....Geoffroy Cogniaux5 Jun
  • Re: Sorting by a list of possible results in a column....Peter Brawley5 Jun