List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:mos Date:June 5 2007 2:09pm
Subject:Re: Diff between restore from tar and recover from power outage
View as plain text
At 09:59 PM 6/4/2007, you wrote:
>    If mysql has been shut down, and given enough time for the tables to
>be flushed to disk, then backing up the data dir using tar is fine. You
>can tar the data dir without shutting down, providing all transactions
>have been stopped and the tables have been flushed to disk. This is how
>we backup our servers, and we haven't had an issue yet (restoring daily
>to a testing environment).

Scott,

What if you stop the transactions and updates to the tables, and flush the
cache to disk, BUT leave the tables open for reading? Can you then do a
backup of the files during when only Select statements are used on them?
Then when the backup is over, re-allow updates to the tables? I'm thinking
of doing this for a webserver so I don't have to shut it down for reading,
but just for updates for a few minutes while the backup is underway.

TIA
Mike
Thread
Lock Tables QuestionDavid T. Ashley4 Jun
  • Re: Lock Tables QuestionGerald L. Clark4 Jun
    • Re: Lock Tables QuestionDavid T. Ashley4 Jun
      • RE: Lock Tables QuestionJerry Schwartz4 Jun
        • Re: Lock Tables QuestionDavid T. Ashley4 Jun
          • Re: Lock Tables QuestionGerald L. Clark4 Jun
            • Diff between restore from tar and recover from power outagemurthy gandikota4 Jun
              • Re: Diff between restore from tar and recover from power outageWm Mussatto4 Jun
                • Re: Diff between restore from tar and recover from power outageScott Tanner5 Jun
                  • Re: Diff between restore from tar and recover from power outagemos5 Jun
                    • Re: Diff between restore from tar and recover from power outageBaron Schwartz5 Jun
            • Re: Lock Tables QuestionDavid T. Ashley4 Jun
  • Re: Lock Tables QuestionBrent Baisley5 Jun
    • Re: Lock Tables QuestionDavid T. Ashley5 Jun
      • Re: Lock Tables QuestionBaron Schwartz5 Jun
        • Re: Lock Tables QuestionDavid T. Ashley5 Jun
          • Re: Lock Tables QuestionPaul McCullagh5 Jun