List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:David T. Ashley Date:June 5 2007 1:55pm
Subject:Re: Lock Tables Question
View as plain text
On 6/5/07, Baron Schwartz <baron@stripped> wrote:

> David T. Ashley wrote:
> > There is no concept that I'm missing.  I understand what a transaction
> is.
> > But I just don't want to bothered.  My application is simple enough that
> > bogarting the database until all necessary modifications have been made
> and
> > the tables are again consistent is good enough.
> >
> > Collisions are handled by serialization.  Period.  Somebody
> wins.  Everyone
> > else waits.  Works for me.
>
> Then the simplest possible thing to do (besides using transactions, which
> IMO would
> actually be a LOT less bother!) is use GET_LOCK('database_name').  That
> should handle
> your requirement to make locks 'database-local.'
>
> In my experience, using LOCK TABLES becomes a spaghetti problem that
> begins to involve
> more and more things until you are going through *serious* contortions.  I
> would avoid
> it at all costs.

My only concern with GET_LOCK() is that lock is server-global rather than
database-global.  This makes attacks possible in a shared setting (some bad
person could disable your database code by going after your lock).

My solution is just to lock all tables in one statement.

The only question I have (and nobody has answered this) is how many tables I
can include in a single LOCK TABLE statement.  I thinking anything up to a
few thousand shouldn't be a problem.  What is the limit?

Thanks, Dave.

Thread
Lock Tables QuestionDavid T. Ashley4 Jun
  • Re: Lock Tables QuestionGerald L. Clark4 Jun
    • Re: Lock Tables QuestionDavid T. Ashley4 Jun
      • RE: Lock Tables QuestionJerry Schwartz4 Jun
        • Re: Lock Tables QuestionDavid T. Ashley4 Jun
          • Re: Lock Tables QuestionGerald L. Clark4 Jun
            • Diff between restore from tar and recover from power outagemurthy gandikota4 Jun
              • Re: Diff between restore from tar and recover from power outageWm Mussatto4 Jun
                • Re: Diff between restore from tar and recover from power outageScott Tanner5 Jun
                  • Re: Diff between restore from tar and recover from power outagemos5 Jun
                    • Re: Diff between restore from tar and recover from power outageBaron Schwartz5 Jun
            • Re: Lock Tables QuestionDavid T. Ashley4 Jun
  • Re: Lock Tables QuestionBrent Baisley5 Jun
    • Re: Lock Tables QuestionDavid T. Ashley5 Jun
      • Re: Lock Tables QuestionBaron Schwartz5 Jun
        • Re: Lock Tables QuestionDavid T. Ashley5 Jun
          • Re: Lock Tables QuestionPaul McCullagh5 Jun