List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Baron Schwartz Date:June 5 2007 1:42pm
Subject:Re: Lock Tables Question
View as plain text
David T. Ashley wrote:
> There is no concept that I'm missing.  I understand what a transaction is.
> But I just don't want to bothered.  My application is simple enough that
> bogarting the database until all necessary modifications have been made and
> the tables are again consistent is good enough.
>
> Collisions are handled by serialization.  Period.  Somebody wins.  Everyone
> else waits.  Works for me.

Then the simplest possible thing to do (besides using transactions, which IMO would
actually be a LOT less bother!) is use GET_LOCK('database_name').  That should handle
your requirement to make locks 'database-local.'

In my experience, using LOCK TABLES becomes a spaghetti problem that begins to involve
more and more things until you are going through *serious* contortions.  I would avoid
it at all costs.

Baron
Thread
Lock Tables QuestionDavid T. Ashley4 Jun
  • Re: Lock Tables QuestionGerald L. Clark4 Jun
    • Re: Lock Tables QuestionDavid T. Ashley4 Jun
      • RE: Lock Tables QuestionJerry Schwartz4 Jun
        • Re: Lock Tables QuestionDavid T. Ashley4 Jun
          • Re: Lock Tables QuestionGerald L. Clark4 Jun
            • Diff between restore from tar and recover from power outagemurthy gandikota4 Jun
              • Re: Diff between restore from tar and recover from power outageWm Mussatto4 Jun
                • Re: Diff between restore from tar and recover from power outageScott Tanner5 Jun
                  • Re: Diff between restore from tar and recover from power outagemos5 Jun
                    • Re: Diff between restore from tar and recover from power outageBaron Schwartz5 Jun
            • Re: Lock Tables QuestionDavid T. Ashley4 Jun
  • Re: Lock Tables QuestionBrent Baisley5 Jun
    • Re: Lock Tables QuestionDavid T. Ashley5 Jun
      • Re: Lock Tables QuestionBaron Schwartz5 Jun
        • Re: Lock Tables QuestionDavid T. Ashley5 Jun
          • Re: Lock Tables QuestionPaul McCullagh5 Jun