List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Joerg Bruehe Date:June 5 2007 7:12am
Subject:Re: Data migration Verification
View as plain text
Hi !

paulizaz wrote:
> What do you mean by "same output" ?
>
> I have too much data to go through and check if all the data is the same.
> This is my problem. Sampling would speed this up, but I need something more
> accurate.
> All data is important.

In Unix / Linux, you would generate similar plain-text output before and
after the migration ("select *" to file, any report, ...) and then
compare them, typically using "diff".
If the format differs on intention (more/fewer columns, sequence of
columns, ...), you would include "sed" or some other filter to align the
two.
As a last resort, you would write some small script (Perl, shell, ...)
to compare them.

For me, it is a very common task to take the output of two different
versions of something (a build log, a trace from a run, the log of a
backup run, ...) and compare them via such a tool chain.

As you mentioned C#, I take it you are on Windows - pick your equivalent
available.

HTH,
Joerg

MySQL AB, www.mysql.com
Thread
Data migration Verificationpaulizaz1 Jun
  • Re: Data migration VerificationOlaf Stein1 Jun
    • Re: Data migration Verificationpaulizaz4 Jun
      • Re: Data migration VerificationWm Mussatto4 Jun
      • Re: Data migration VerificationOlaf Stein4 Jun
        • Re: Data migration VerificationBaron Schwartz4 Jun
      • Re: Data migration VerificationJoerg Bruehe5 Jun