List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Wm Mussatto Date:June 4 2007 9:57pm
Subject:Re: Diff between restore from tar and recover from power outage
View as plain text
On Mon, June 4, 2007 14:21, murthy gandikota said:
> Hi
>   When restoring a DB from a tar file, I had to repair some of the tables.
> Whereas when the DB is started after a power failure, everything works
> fine. I noticed this on RedHat linux and MySQL5.
>
>   Any thoughts?
>
>   Thanks
>   Murthy

What was in the tar file?  If you tar'ed the data directory, it is almost
guaranteed to fail since only part of the updated information may be
actually written to disk.  If the power failure occurred on a system with
a correctly configured UPS, mysql probably got a shut down command so the
disk files were in a stable state.

Normally you should dump the databases and then tar that.  (see mysqldump
command for details).

-------

William R. Mussatto, Senior Systems Engineer
http://www.csz.com
Ph. 909-920-9154 ext. 27
FAX. 909-608-7061

Thread
Lock Tables QuestionDavid T. Ashley4 Jun
  • Re: Lock Tables QuestionGerald L. Clark4 Jun
    • Re: Lock Tables QuestionDavid T. Ashley4 Jun
      • RE: Lock Tables QuestionJerry Schwartz4 Jun
        • Re: Lock Tables QuestionDavid T. Ashley4 Jun
          • Re: Lock Tables QuestionGerald L. Clark4 Jun
            • Diff between restore from tar and recover from power outagemurthy gandikota4 Jun
              • Re: Diff between restore from tar and recover from power outageWm Mussatto4 Jun
                • Re: Diff between restore from tar and recover from power outageScott Tanner5 Jun
                  • Re: Diff between restore from tar and recover from power outagemos5 Jun
                    • Re: Diff between restore from tar and recover from power outageBaron Schwartz5 Jun
            • Re: Lock Tables QuestionDavid T. Ashley4 Jun
  • Re: Lock Tables QuestionBrent Baisley5 Jun
    • Re: Lock Tables QuestionDavid T. Ashley5 Jun
      • Re: Lock Tables QuestionBaron Schwartz5 Jun
        • Re: Lock Tables QuestionDavid T. Ashley5 Jun
          • Re: Lock Tables QuestionPaul McCullagh5 Jun