List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:David T. Ashley Date:June 4 2007 8:43pm
Subject:Re: Lock Tables Question
View as plain text
On 6/4/07, Jerry Schwartz <jschwartz@stripped> wrote:

> Whatever you do, make sure that every bit of code that locks multiple
> resources locks them in the same order. That's the only way to avoid
> deadlocks.

Hi Jerry,

I really appreciate the good advice.

However, my original question is still unanswered.  My original question is
whether I can lock one table (as a gentleman's rule followed by all
processes) to serialize access to the database consisting of many tables.

LOCK TABLE x;
Manipulate many tables, perhaps not even including table x;
UNLOCK TABLES;

My question is really whether MySQL might do some strange optimizations ...
or somehow buffer the middle query so that it completes after the UNLOCK.

Thanks, Dave.

Thread
Lock Tables QuestionDavid T. Ashley4 Jun
  • Re: Lock Tables QuestionGerald L. Clark4 Jun
    • Re: Lock Tables QuestionDavid T. Ashley4 Jun
      • RE: Lock Tables QuestionJerry Schwartz4 Jun
        • Re: Lock Tables QuestionDavid T. Ashley4 Jun
          • Re: Lock Tables QuestionGerald L. Clark4 Jun
            • Diff between restore from tar and recover from power outagemurthy gandikota4 Jun
              • Re: Diff between restore from tar and recover from power outageWm Mussatto4 Jun
                • Re: Diff between restore from tar and recover from power outageScott Tanner5 Jun
                  • Re: Diff between restore from tar and recover from power outagemos5 Jun
                    • Re: Diff between restore from tar and recover from power outageBaron Schwartz5 Jun
            • Re: Lock Tables QuestionDavid T. Ashley4 Jun
  • Re: Lock Tables QuestionBrent Baisley5 Jun
    • Re: Lock Tables QuestionDavid T. Ashley5 Jun
      • Re: Lock Tables QuestionBaron Schwartz5 Jun
        • Re: Lock Tables QuestionDavid T. Ashley5 Jun
          • Re: Lock Tables QuestionPaul McCullagh5 Jun