List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Gerald L. Clark Date:June 4 2007 7:31pm
Subject:Re: Lock Tables Question
View as plain text
David T. Ashley wrote:
> I decided to go with a simple paradigm for my web-based database.  Rather
> than transactions, each process locks the entire database while it is
> changing something, then unlocks it.  This just serializes access (all
> other
> processes will block until the one modifying the database has finished).
>
> The method I was using is something like:
>
> LOCK TABLE thistable, thattable, theothertable,
> goshthislistcangetlongtable;
> Do whatever is needed;
> UNLOCK TABLES;
>
> I probably botched the syntax above.
>
> Rather than enumerate every table in the database (which could get to be a
> long list), I wondered if it is possible to just lock one table, with the
> gentleman's agreement that in order to modify the database, every process
> must first lock that particular table.
You could use a string lock for this.

--
Gerald L. Clark
Supplier Systems Corporation
        • Re: Lock Tables QuestionDavid T. Ashley4 Jun
          • Re: Lock Tables QuestionGerald L. Clark4 Jun
            • Diff between restore from tar and recover from power outagemurthy gandikota4 Jun
              • Re: Diff between restore from tar and recover from power outageWm Mussatto4 Jun
                • Re: Diff between restore from tar and recover from power outageScott Tanner5 Jun
                  • Re: Diff between restore from tar and recover from power outagemos5 Jun
                    • Re: Diff between restore from tar and recover from power outageBaron Schwartz5 Jun
            • Re: Lock Tables QuestionDavid T. Ashley4 Jun
  • Re: Lock Tables QuestionBrent Baisley5 Jun
    • Re: Lock Tables QuestionDavid T. Ashley5 Jun
      • Re: Lock Tables QuestionBaron Schwartz5 Jun
        • Re: Lock Tables QuestionDavid T. Ashley5 Jun
          • Re: Lock Tables QuestionPaul McCullagh5 Jun