List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Baron Schwartz Date:May 28 2007 11:28am
Subject:Re: Table compression with write (append) support
View as plain text
Yves Goergen wrote:
> On 28.05.2007 09:06 CE(S)T, Kevin Hunter wrote:
>> At 12:31a -0400 on 28 May 2007, Dan Nelson wrote:
>>> You want the ARCHIVE storage engine.
>>>
>>> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/archive-storage-engine.html
>
> Hm, it doesn't support deleting rows and it cannot use indexes. So doing
> statistics on them (which can be a little more complex than counting
> rows within a timespan, which is why I wanted to use an SQL database)
> could get quite resource demanding.

Another option might be to use compressed MyISAM tables, which you create with
myisampack.  Suppose you create a new table every day, and after you start
inserting into the new table, you compress yesterday's file.  Then you could use
the MERGE storage engine to provide a view over all the tables as though they
are one.

Baron
Thread
Table compression with write (append) supportYves Goergen27 May
  • Re: Table compression with write (append) supportDan Nelson28 May
    • Re: Table compression with write (append) supportKevin Hunter28 May
      • Re: Table compression with write (append) supportYves Goergen28 May
        • Re: Table compression with write (append) supportBaron Schwartz28 May