List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Yves Goergen Date:May 27 2007 6:39pm
Subject:Table compression with write (append) support
View as plain text
Hi,

I'm thinking about using a MySQL table to store an Apache access log and
do statistics on it. Currently all access log files are stored as files
and compressed by day. Older log files are compressed by month, with
bzip2. This gives a very good compression ratio, since there's a lot of
repetition in those files. If I store all that in a regular table, it
would be several gigabytes large. So I'm looking for a way to compress
the database table but still be able to append new rows. As the nature
of a log file, it is not required to alter previous data. It could only
be useful to delete older rows. Do you know something for that?

--
Yves Goergen "LonelyPixel" <nospam.list@stripped>
Table compression with write (append) supportYves Goergen27 May