List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Naz Gassiep Date:May 25 2007 3:41pm
Subject:Re: Integrity on large sites
View as plain text
> You youngsters may not realize that there were billing applications
> serving millions of customers long, long before there were any kind of
> database management systems.  They employed concepts called "flat
> files" and "batch processing".  And they ran on machines far weaker
> than anything any of you have on your desk today.  Even under
> something like MS Windows, it would be absolutely possible to
> configure 3-5 high speed printers and knock out 100,000 bills per hour
> from an Intel single CPU box.  You really have no appreciation of how
> much power you actually have at your disposal.

Perhaps you underestimate us, or me at least  :-D . The precise reason I
am arguing against sharding is because I know that performant design
principles as well as optimization and other proper techniques make
voodoo like sharding a clever solution to a problem that shouldn't exist
with the raw power available in modern hardware. As I said in a previous
post, my old laptop could handle a DB that cost the equivalent of a
house to manage in a previous age of the IT history.
- Naz.
Thread
Integrity on large sitesNaz Gassiep24 May
  • Re: Integrity on large sitesPeter Brawley24 May
  • Re: Integrity on large sitesMartijn Tonies24 May
  • Re: Integrity on large sitesPhilip Mather24 May
  • Re: Integrity on large sitesEvaldas Imbrasas24 May
    • Re: Integrity on large sitesNaz Gassiep25 May
      • Re: Integrity on large sitesB. Keith Murphy25 May
      • Re: Integrity on large sitesEvaldas Imbrasas25 May
        • Re: Integrity on large sitesNaz Gassiep25 May
          • Re: Integrity on large sitesB. Keith Murphy25 May
            • Re: Integrity on large sitesBarry Newton25 May
              • Re: Integrity on large sitesNaz Gassiep25 May
            • Re: Integrity on large sitesNaz Gassiep25 May
          • Re: Integrity on large sitesJeremy Cole26 May
  • Re: Integrity on large sitesMartijn Tonies25 May
RE: Integrity on large sitesRhys Campbell25 May